[asterisk-users] Call Termination Provider Madness

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Wed Oct 3 10:38:30 CDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Chris Nighswonger
> <cnighswonger at foundations.edu> wrote:
>>

>> At this point I only have ~40 extensions, so I took Michel's advise
>> and set my RTP range to 10000-10100. The default 10000 ports was a bit
>> more surface area than I want to expose.
>

> If you think 100 or 10k RTP ports going to your voice server makes ANY
> difference in security, you really need to re-think this and study more.

Hi Carlos,

I'm speaking of surface area. Ask any general if he would rather have
to defend a 1000 mile front or a 1 mile front. You are right that an
open port is an open port, but trying keeping the crowd out of 10000
doors is *much* harder than trying to keep them out of 100 doors.

Kind Regards,
Chris