[asterisk-users] Passing a variable downstream to an IAX server

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 07:14:08 CDT 2012

Apologies if this is a really stupid n00b question, but I don't seem to be
able to find an answer anywhere.

Is it possible somehow to pass a channel variable to another Asterisk server
down an IAX trunk?

I have 2 machines; one which is fitted with an ISDN card to make outside calls
via an E1 line, and another with a GSM card to make outside calls via the
mobile network.  The GSM machine gets some calls passed onto it by a command
like Dial(IAX2/user:pass at host.cc/number) .

This works nicely, but I want to know:  is there any way to pass on a variable
(already set in the dialplan before the Dial() occurs)  to the downstream
server?

It's a single numeric value that I want to pass on, so I guess in the worst
case it could be sent within the actual number e.g. by appending * and the
data to the extension number and then using CUT() on the downstream server.
But is there a less-ugly method that I am just missing?

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.