[asterisk-users] Asterisk not starting (illegal instruction core dumped)

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 03:36:54 CST 2012

On Tuesday 27 November 2012, Adolphus Enaboifo wrote:
> Hi List members,
> Thanks for the support so far as I try to install and test my first
> asterisk system.
> I was able to finally install asterisk-1.8.18.0 with libpri-1.4.13 and
> dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1 according to the instructions given in
> the online documentation (asterisk the definitive guide).
> But while trying to start asterisk with the following command
> "/usr/sbin/asterisk -cvvv" or "/usr/sbin/asterisk -c" I get the message
> "Illegal instruction (core dumped)"
> Kindly advice on what to do.

I've had this trying to install Asterisk on a machine with a VIA processor.
Turned out to be VIA's fault for pretending to be an i686 when in fact it only
supported a subset of i686 instructions  (and Asterisk wanted to use one of
the ones that it didn't).

The cure was to make distclean and re-compile for an i586 target.

Please post the contents of /proc/cpuinfo on the machine which is failing to
run Asterisk.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.