[asterisk-users] Asterisk and fwbuilder

Ade Vickers asterisk at solutionengineers.com
Mon Nov 26 10:13:30 CST 2012

Hi List,

Until recently, I've been running an Asterisk server behind an MS ISA 2004
firewall. In general, this has worked fine - I've been able to connect to my
SIP provider to make/receive calls (sipgate.co.uk in the UK and
callcentric.com in the US), and DHADI runs the one traditional analogue line
I have here.

Then, the ISA server went pop, for the umpteenth time. Rather than replace
it with yet another flaky second hand Dell server, I've put a spangly new
64-bit HP server in, which needs a 64-bit OS, hence Linux Mint. And, because
I'm not entirely sure how well (if at all) ISA Server would work in a
VMPlayer, I decided to use Linux's approach to firewalls, aka IPtables,
using the GUI program fwbuilder.

I finally got most of my network going through iptables/fwbuilder, but I
cannot for the life of me make Asterisk talk SIP to the outside world. All
attempts to register with sipgate fail. Callcentric appears to register OK,
but attempting to make a call and it throws a critical packet not received
error & aborts. I have (I think) port forwarded 5060 UDP, 5060 TCP and
10000-20000 UDP to the Asterisk box, as well as IAX2. IAX2 works just fine,
I have an external phone connected in using it.

Has anyone used fwbuilder to create the rules required to let an Asterisk
server make & receive calls via SIP?

Thanks in advance,
Ade.