[asterisk-users] Noise on phones while speaking...

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Nov 19 06:40:58 CST 2012

Carlos Chavez wrote:
> The card itself does not have hardware echo cancellation so we use MG2.
> I am not fixated on the card because this should not affect a SIP to SIP
> internal call unless the card is really defective and provides bad
> timing to Asterisk.

Actually when bridging channels Asterisk acts as either a low level
packet router ("Packet2Packet" or "Local" bridge - RTP packet is read
in, minimally modified, and immediately sent back out) or as a higher
level media forwarder (RTP packet is read in, dissected some, stuffed
into internal data structure, shipped off to other channel, RTP header
added, packet sent - although monitoring/recording/transcoding is
involved it's in that list of operations too). Timing from an external
source isn't used. So really, I'm fairly certain it's something to do
with your phones. If you could post a short snippet of a phone calling
another and the bridge that occurs I could be more certain.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp