[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8.16 Monitoring tools

Jonathan Rose jrose at digium.com
Fri Nov 9 17:18:05 CST 2012

Danny Nicholas wrote:
> You want "live" monitoring or "after the fact"?  The "hard way" to do
> "live"
> monitoring would be an active tail of /var/log/asterisk/full.  After
> the
> fact you could read /var/log/asterisk/cdr-csv/Master.csv.  In
> realtime I
> think these have database equivalents.

I would imagine that the preferred way to do 'live monitoring' in an
automated fashion would be through AMI and not by having something
actively trying to follow log messages (and certainly not the full
set of them). Log messages aren't designed to be machine readable
and the amount of extraneous stuff that has nothing to do with what
you would be attempting to monitor with them would be staggering.

If you don't need it to be automated, there are log messages which
will provide data about most happenings like this which you can
observe in realtime with the CLI. Also, AMI can come into play if
you need something more readable. For something like queues for
instance, you could have a web interface using AMI to populate all
sorts of data pertaining to queues, the members within them, etc and
have it all shown to you in a nice easy to read view. But that sort
of thing might take a bit of work.

--
Jonathan R. Rose
Digium, Inc. | Software Engineer