[asterisk-users] Managing complex setups with Asterisk

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Nov 7 11:31:59 CST 2012

martin f krafft wrote:
> Can Asterisk do virtual hosting? While I want/need the sites to be
> hosted by the same instance (so that e.g. calls can be transferred
> easily), I don't want to have to name my peers [site1-john], and
> I want people to be able to SIP-dial john at site1.example.org and
> john at site2.example.org and trust that Asterisk knows what to do.

Peer names have to be distinct, this is just a fundamental design
element of chan_sip. What a lot of people end up doing is instead of
treating peers as people they treat them as devices. The peer name
becomes the MAC address of the device they have been assigned.

Since peer names are not the same as extensions though you can certainly
have multiple john extensions on different domains. You need to create
different contexts which route them accordingly and then map the domains
to the contexts in sip.conf

Take a gander at sip.conf.sample - specifically the SIP DOMAIN SUPPORT
section and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers,