[asterisk-users] Managing complex setups with Asterisk

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Nov 7 04:41:50 CST 2012

Hello,

we are finally going to redesign our Asterisk-Setup, which has grown
quite complex. We have five sites with a total of 400 users, 15 SIP
registrations and 3 IAX registrations. We do not use any
VoIP-hardware, so it's all software-based. But we make heavy use of
features, including voicemail, followme, conferencing,
call-recording, and queuing.

As I said, the configuration has grown quite complex — so complex
that we are all a bit scared to touch it. It works, but as we are
now adding a sixth site and upgrading the hardware, we thought it
would be a good opportunity to get the sixth site up and running on
a new box, then migrate the other sites.

Now we are trying to figure out how to organise sip.conf, iax.conf
and extensions.conf. I read about Realtime configuration, but I was
a bit disappoointed because it's really just moving the
section-key-value store from the flat files to a relational
database without really making use of any relational features. Sure,
it's realtime thereafter, but not any less complex.

So what to do? Does anyone have a similar setup and would like to
offer a glance into their configs? Are there best practices? Or is
there maybe even software (Linux) to manage setups?

Cheers,

"not the truth in whose possession any man is, or thinks he is, but
 the honest effort he has made to find out the truth, is what
 constitutes the worth of man."
                                                   -- gotthold lessing

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net