[asterisk-users] forwarding all calls to cells

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Tue Nov 6 18:53:23 CST 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Noam Birnbaum
<noam at maccentricsolutions.com>wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> A client wants to install a FreePBX infrastructure, but have all calls
> forward to their cell phones rather than buying VoIP phones.
>
> They would be doing SIP trunks over a Comcast business line.  Probably
> maximum 6 simultaneous calls.
>
> Any gotchas we should warn them about?

What a waste of effort, bandwidth, and money.  There are a dozen services
out there that can do this far more efficiently and for a lot less money.
 You will be using bandwidth in both directions and double the channels
(one call in, forwarded call out).  It will increase the latency by a lot
and the chance of call quality problems is huge.  Call in over a cheap
cable connection, call out on the same, then over a cell.

Concurrent ringing with cells is popular and makes a lot of sense since you
primarily typically answer on the desk phone.  If it's just forwarding,
then just use a forwarding service which will cost less and not introduce
the extra cable network layer.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve