[asterisk-users] Fax Server for Asterisk

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Wed May 30 20:03:50 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> I've used Asterisk 1.4.22 with hylafax and iaxmodem and it wasn't
> reliable at all; sometimes the fax reach the destination, sometimes
> not, and even worse, asterisk got froozen...(here using analog lines
> over Sangoma B600 and Digium TDM400P, same behavior with both.
> Other history with same asterisk version but E1 lines, it was
> PERFECT. That's why i ask for analog lines, since not all customers
> has E1.
> Any recommendation/restriction when using hylafax + Asterisk +
> iaxmodem ?
> BR

If Asterisk was freezing up, that would seem to indicate a problem with Asterisk, not the Hylafax/IAXmodem components. Of course, details would be needed to determine why that was the case.

Regardless, without lockups of Asterisk, reliability of fax is very dependent on timing and audio quality. Again, details would be needed to further investigate why you had high failure metrics(specifically your fax session logs from /var/spool/hylafax/log).

In general, Hylafax+[1] and IAXmodem is the most rock solid stable fax solution available, as long as you can get past the initial learning curve. There is a reason why IAXmodem has not had a release in forever as the 1.2.0 release is rock solid stable. Hylafax+ continues to be developed with regular releases, the feature set and functionality are second to none with hooks for almost any imaginable configuration, and the support via the mailing lists or available contractors can't be beat.

</soapbox>

If you have specifics about your problems with Hylafax and IAXmodem, I'd love to hear about them to help diagnose, if it is postmortem.

--Tim

[1] There *IS* a difference between "Hylafax" (hylafax.org) and "Hylafax+" (hylafax.sourceforge.net). Please see here: http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/about.php