[asterisk-users] Loss of RTP stream during DTMF collection

Dave George dgeorge at teletoneinc.com
Fri May 25 18:30:23 CDT 2012

Hi Kevin,

I have two asterisk boxes with the same issues.
Box 1: asterisk ver 1.4.21.2
Box 2: Asterisk 1.8.7.1

setup:
CDMA Phone <> CDMA Media Gateway WCM <sip> Asterisk voice mail

The calls are SIP Based.  DTMF collection is when the user is entering a
password for voice mail access or voucher to recharge their account.

voice mail:
user is prompted for a password. After password is entered I can see
asterisk playing the voice mail but no audio is heard on the phone.

Other scenario user dials into a voucher menu (Asterisk2billing) and is
prompted for a voucher. No audio after the voucher is entered.

The CDMA guys did a trace on their end and this is what they explained
is happening:

The voicemail problem is due to the time stamp jump on the RTP steam
sending WCM to BSC.   There are about 5 seconds gap between two
consecutive RTP packets.   It was caused by Asterisk not sending any RTP
packet to WCM.

How can I enable the option to allow asterisk to maintain the RTP stream
during DTMF collection?

Thanks,
Dave