[asterisk-users] Detecting Fax Tones over IAX2

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Thu May 24 09:44:59 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 05/23/2012 08:41 PM, Cody Harris wrote:
> > Hello All,
> > I use IAX2 as the incoming connection from my DID provider.  For
> > whatever reason, this works best for me, SIP connections lag very
> > frequently and only have about a 50% success rate for incoming
> > calls
> > (they get dropped mysteriously).
> >
> > I'm trying to implement a fax/voice switch.  I have faxdetect=both
> > in my
> > sip.conf, and when I use sip, it works well.  However, from what I
> > can
> > tell, there's no such option for IAX2 connections.
> >
> > Any ideas on what I can do here, or am I out of luck?
>
> It's quite hard to provide suggestions since we don't know what
> version
> of Asterisk you are using. However, in Asterisk 10, there is a
> channel-agnostic FAX detection function that can be applied to any
> channel type, so at a minimum that is one way to solve your problem.

BUT, even if fax is detected on an IAX2 channel, the only reason would be to change dialplan logic accordingly correct? There is no T.38 equivalent within IAX2, which means the OP will be handling faxes over a clear VoIP channel. The information here is of utmost relevance:

http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/docs/fax-over-voip.pdf

--Tim