[asterisk-users] Vitelity Setup

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Wed May 23 11:32:50 CDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 11:00 -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Jeff LaCoursiere <jeff at sunfone.com> wrote:
> >
> > Word of warning - I have had a lot of issues with Vitelity's routing.
> > Lots of troubles to the Caribbean, lots of troubles with ordinary US 800
> > numbers (major corporations like Nicor, American Airlines).
> >

> We had lot's of trouble with the 800 numbers as well but after help
> from Vitelity's support we were able to determine that the problem was
> that toll free require _exactly_ 10 digits to accept the toll free
> call.

That's not the trouble we were having - if you call these large
companies and sit on hold waiting for an agent, then finally get
transferred, you get a message "Cannot complete this call from your
location".  Oddly, it is the same message no matter what large company
you are calling.  It was reproducible every time, not random. Through
other carriers we work with the same numbers were no problem.

I finally concluded that these large companies are probably offloading
their support overseas, and that they were doing some kind of PRI
transfer, offloading the new leg upstream in some manner that eventually
resulted in the call being rejected.  Why this seems to happen
exclusively through Vitelity I can't say.  Support emails went
unanswered.  With so many other termination providers it was easier to
simply switch our 800 carrier than chase this down with a support
infrastructure that won't answer emails.

> Regarding call to the Caribean we had a lot trouble with cell phones
> in Venezuela and it seems they were using pre-paid lines that ran out
> money but they eventually got around and solved it. So I think that if
> you insist with their support they usually resolve the issue.

Our troubles were first with ALL calls to Jamaica.  It took all day to
get someone to look into it, and two days later we still couldn't
complete calls there.  Again, switched to a different carrier and the
problem went away.  Next was Trinidad.  Same story.  Haven't gone back
to see if they were eventually resolved.

I don't know who they are trying to use in the Caribbean to save cost on
their routes, but I would rather work with someone that is using white
routes and pay a bit more than spend all my time resolving call routing
for my customers.

Just wanted to point out that after experiences with dozens of
termination providers, I rate Vitelity pretty low.  We still use them
for US termination, which seems fine and relatively low cost.

Cheers,