[asterisk-users] How to stop ringing when incoming PSTN call is answered externally?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed May 23 10:04:59 CDT 2012

Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:32:19PM -0400, ftarz at mindspring.com wrote:
>
>> The calls are routed just fine, but when a call is answered at one of
>> the extensions or externally (by a home telephone) the asterisk
>> extensions continue to ring one more time.  Is there a way to have
>> Asterisk drop an incoming PSTN call as soon as it's answered?
>>
> I have the same problem, and earlier discussion here suggests it's
> insoluble.

Nonsense
It is easily solved.
Simply answer through a supervised extension ( asterisk )
Don't expect analog lines to work properly with Asterisk and a POTS
phone bridged, with the call answered on a POTS phone
Technically that is a poor method of connection.
Simply have the PSTN line go into Asterisk, and ALL analog phones in the
home or business become extensions off of Asterisk

There ARE other ways, but it requires some coding and testing to get
things to work, with no real gain
I am doing this to capture and screen caller ID numbers, but it is not
the best solution

John Novack

> --

Dog is my Co-pilot