[asterisk-users] Fwd: RTP stats explaination

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri May 18 12:51:39 CDT 2012

On Fri, 18 May 2012, Dave Platt wrote:

> A maximum jitter of 230 milliseconds looks pretty horrendous to me. This
> is going to cause really serious audio stuttering on the receiving side,
> and/or will force the use of such a long "jitter buffer" by the receiver
> that the audio will suffer from an infuriating amount of delay.  Even a
> local call would sound as if it's coming from overseas via a
> satellite-radio link.

Won't a cell-to-cell call experience delays in the 300ms range?

Many moons ago I remember listening with a cell while tapping on the table
with another cell and being stunned with the magnitude of the delay and
that most people manage to carry on conversations without noticing.

--
Thanks in advance,