[asterisk-users] OT - Incoming fax cuts ADSL line

Larry Moore lmoore at omninet.net.au
Wed May 16 19:07:08 CDT 2012

On 17/05/2012 12:18 AM, James Sharp wrote:
> On 5/16/2012 12:07 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:

I have clients with their ADSL2+ service attached to their fax lines
with no problems observed.

Perhaps the issue is the fax machines attenuators are not set correctly
are are to _loud_ on the PSTN.

In Australia Telstra advised the signal level received at the exchange
should be between -15dB and -17dB. They have a Fax On Line Diagnostic
System (FOLDS) which you can send a transmission to, a report is
returned advising of the quality of your transmission including measured
signal and noise levels.

In old days the fax machine might have a wired jumper block to set the
attenuation, more modern devices would be configured from the front
panel, typically in a maintenance mode. Your good old dial-up modems
with fax capabilities would have an S-Register or two to set the
attenuation.

Larry.