[asterisk-users] looking for "solid state" like PC suitable for Asterisk

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu May 10 07:53:48 CDT 2012

On Thu, 10 May 2012, A J Stiles wrote:

> On Thursday 10 May 2012, Bart Coninckx wrote:
>> I'm looking for a smaller,
>> appliance-type like PC, preferably solid state and fanless PC.
>> Since it's only going to run Asterisk for a couple of extensions I don't
>> think CPU and RAM need to be maxed out.
>>
>> Does anyone have inspiration/experience for/about such a model?
>
> Raspberry Pi would be the obvious choice, surely?

It's been done...

Someone on the forums is giving away an image that boots into Asterisk -
that then connects to their own ITSP server with a small number of "free"
calls - presumably inviting you to pay him money to make more calls ;-)

Have to say it's the last thing on my mind to do with my Pi - well, maybe
for fun, but not as a comercial on-going system for a company. It's too
small (in physiucal size!) and needs a nice box, etc. However it's more
than capable although I'd be wary of the speed of the SD card to store
voicemail on - it's fast enough, but things like fsync do appear to take a
(relatively) long time, making some stuff feel a little "clunky" on it.

Gordon