[asterisk-users] using Wifi smartphones as SIP clients

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Mon May 7 13:03:20 CDT 2012

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 12:03:17PM +0200, Bart Coninckx wrote:
>What about phones like the Unidata WPU-7800 (
>http://www.udcsystems.com/product/wpu7800.php) ? Does anyone have
>experience with those? Would these also suffer from connection
>losses?

I've been using a UTStarcom GF-210 for the last year and more as my
personal phone - dual-mode 2G GSM and SIP/802.11. Sound quality on SIP
is slightly better than 2G, getting it to talk to Asterisk is no problem
at all, but certainly if you're moving from one wifi device to another
you will get dropped calls. If that's your use case, it's going to be
that way whatever hardware you use - I haven't seen any implementations
of 802.11F or 802.11r in the field.