[asterisk-users] Replacing PBX with Asterisk, need feedback on my new architecture.

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Sun May 6 13:39:28 CDT 2012

On 12-05-06 02:00 PM, Nunya Biznatch wrote:
> I'm about to receive approval to design and deploy an Asterisk-based
> phone system for my company. I will immediately have to start writing
> specifications. I'm working on the hardware design and the architecture
> right now. I'd like a second, third, fourth, 1,000th opinion.
>
> 800 SIP phones. All will be G.722. I expect 200 concurrent calls, with
> 20% leaving to the outside world. There will be another 200 analog lines
> that will for the time being remain on the TDM PBX switch they reside
> on, and will be whittled down and converted to SIP as time and attrition
> allows. These are primarily fax machines and conference "spider" phones.
> Those are included in my 200 concurrent calls number. I'm looking to get
> as close to 5-9's reliability as I can, with 4-9's mandatory. Proper
> power filtering and backup is already available.
>

> Here's what I'm thinking for the architecture:
>
> Server 1: PRI Gateway 1 - Support 2 outside PRI trunks for local and
> long distance, plus a third PRI connecting to the existing TDM PBX.
>
> Server 2: PRI Gateway 2 - Support 1 PRI trunk for local and long
> distance with room for another, plus a second PRI connecting to the
> existing TDM PBX.
>
> Reason for two PRI Gateways is for redundancy and fail-over, but
> processor capabilities is a concern. I expect in about two years I'll be
> ready to decommission the TDM PBX, but will be left with about 80 Analog
> lines across the multiple buildings on my campus. I expect I'll end up
> purchasing channel banks to support the remaining analog lines, and
> distribute across the campus using existing copper plant.
>

> Server 3: Asterisk Master Server
>
> Server 4: Asterisk Slave Server
>
> I'm considering a clustered environment, but I believe a fail-over
> solution would be easier to implement in the short term. This means each
> system needs to handle all traffic by itself. These servers will be used
> for Asterisk and Voice-mail. Conferencing will be enabled, but I'm not
> considering it in the build. If I see conferencing becoming a factor, I
> will build another server and offload that service.

800 SIP phones on one server? I wouldn't want to do it. Add a SIP proxy
to your design and have it handle all your SIP.  Then you can load
balance across multiple asterisk boxes.  You'll be thankful you did this
at the start, as it will allow you to increase resources more easily.

> Server 5: Boot Server - DHCP, RADIUS, SNTP, DNS, LDAP, FTP, HTTPS, SNMP,
> etc...
>
> This service will provide the phone network all the basic services. This
> is a stand-alone phone network primarily because it would be too costly
> to upgrade the entire data network to support both voice and data. The
> phone network will not initially have Internet Access. This server will
> be the server all the phones talk to for pulling their configs.
>
> I'm considering a second Boot Server for redundancy, but since the
> phones should store their configs, I'm not seeing this as horribly
> critical. Am I smoking something?
>
> Finally, I'll have a Windows-based workstation that will be used to
> remote into all the services, for administration, etc...

Why?

> I need to plan to use FreePBX on all Asterisk Servers, but I don't
> intend to install it until I'm in regular MAC maintenance mode.

It is ashame you are going this far with your setup to rely on FreePBX.
  For something this complex, you are setting your self up for some
heartache.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode) |