[asterisk-users] Asterisk Vs FreeSWITCH for Fax

Duncan Turnbull duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Thu May 3 10:50:08 CDT 2012

Hi Anita

On 4/05/2012, at 12:27 AM, Anita Hall wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are using Spandsp + FreeSWITCH for receiving Fax over T.30 E1/PRI and the results make us sad :(

I am presuming you do mean T.30 (standard fax protocol but people don't mention it much) not T.38 as I am not familiar with that so much. Whats making you sad? Cost? performance, end customer compatibility?

> I suppose Asterisk also has the option of using spandsp or a commercial version from Commetrex. What are your experiences with receiving Fax on spandsp or commetrex on Asterisk ?

When I was doing fax I used Hylafax+ & asterisk & iaxmodem for sending / receiving thousands of faxes using analogue lines, I would have thought E1 would be almost perfect

> Does it really matter whether I use Asterisk or FreeSWITCH ?
Cant see why it would but if you use iaxmodem then Asterisk is  needed for the IAX interface.

Cheers Duncan