[asterisk-users] Official numbering plan - where to get?

Raj Mathur ( राज माथुर ) raju at linux-delhi.org
Wed Mar 28 13:28:45 CDT 2012

On Friday 23 Mar 2012, Markus wrote:
> I hope this is not too off-topic. As a kind-of follow up to "rate
> sheet normalization" I'm still trying to figure out a solution for:
> throw 10 ratesheets at a program and get the cheapest
> codes/providers as output.
>
> For this purpose I believe I need a real, detailed, accurate list of
> all the dialing codes, incl. mobile codes, city codes etc. worldwide
> as a reference for that particular program. There are thousands of
> A-Z lists on the web, and there are thousands of codes in them, but
> nothing is accurate enough or from an official source.
>
> So, I spoke with the ITU today and they, funny enough, too don't have
> such a list. At least they don't have one that is computer parseable,
> like a .csv or .xls or something like that. What they have is: a
> single .doc or .pdf file for EACH country (1 file per country),
> which is not standardized in its content, with lots of text and
> descriptions, but it has all the codes. They don't even have such a
> list as a paid service. Feels like 30 years ago. :)  Anyway, there
> is numberingplans.com which provide exactly what I'm looking for,
> but they don't support one-time purchases, only subscriptions from
> around 100 to 990 EUR per month, which is above my budget (and I
> don't need a subscription).
>
> Does anyone have an idea where to find such a list for free, or as a
> one-time purchase? If not, I'll probably go through the effort to
> compile my own list based on the ITU data. Let me know in case you
> want a copy then. :)

Would it help if we start a Wiki for normalised numbering plans for each
country, and let people fill in data as and when they please?  Using the
appropriate licence would ensure that no one can pull the data and use
it in a proprietary list -- a GPL-like licence for the data would ensure
that any enhancements to the list also have to be distributed under the
same conditions as the original.

This way the people most benefiting from the list would probably end up
doing the most amount of work, which is fair.  I'd be glad to fill in
India (if I can figure out that bureaucratic legalese in which the data
is written).

Regards,

-- Raj
--