[asterisk-users] 8-span TE820 card and interrupts

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Wed Mar 21 10:30:13 CDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 08:23:48AM -0700, Steve Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Shaun Ruffell wrote:
>
> >240 channels in meetme comming from an 8-span digital card? I
> >would have to measure it...but my guess is a pretty beefy system.
> >In this configuration, more speed on less cores would serve you
> >better than more cores.
>
> Would that advice apply if the 240 channels are distributed to a
> bunch of separate 'meetmes' or is the assumption that all 240 are in
> a single meetme?

Currently, the mixing in the kernel is always serialized on the
"masterspan", so regardless of how many conferences you have in the
system only one CPU will do the mixing for all of them. So, I would
say generally for meetme-based conferencing I would give preference
to more power on each core as opposed to adding more cores.

Hopefully in the next year I'll find time in the future to work on
the changes necessary to allow the conferencing to be spread out to
the various cores. Probably just as everyone finally is able to
switch to confbridge and not need meetme anymore.

--
Shaun Ruffell
Digium, Inc. | Linux Kernel Developer