[asterisk-users] "alaw = 1-2" in system.conf (dahdi) not working in UK

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 07:05:48 CDT 2012

Hi all,

I've tried to explicitly set my two PSTN trunks/FXO lines to alaw with:

alaw = 1-2

in /etc/dahdi/system.conf. However, when I do this, all I get is loud
intense noise on the line and nothing else - can't dial, can't make
calls, can't receive calls. If I omit it altogether, everything works fine.

As I'm in the UK - I thought Europe uses alaw on phone lines - how come
Asterisk seems to be using only ulaw - and alaw won't even work? Config
examples on the Internet seem to suggest that it should work.

Thanks for any help,

Sebastian