[asterisk-users] Group write permissions /etc/asterisk/.

Jason Parker jparker at digium.com
Mon Mar 5 22:25:02 CST 2012

On 03/05/2012 06:22 PM, Karl Fife wrote:
> I notice that the installation of Asterisk 1.8.8 thru 1.8.10 (probably
> earlier versions too)  remove the group write permissions from
> /etc/asterisk/. which is different than 1.4. And 1.6.
>
> Is this expected behavior?
> If so, what's the rationale?
> If not, I'll submit a bug report if someone hasn't beaten me to it.
>
> -K

The difference comes from using `install` rather than `mkdir`.  mkdir
defaults to a+rwx (777) - umask (likely 002 on your system), whereas
install defaults to the much more sane u+rwx,g+rx,o+rx (755).

I don't know if I would call it a bug since the switch to install was
intentional, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily expected either.  I
don't really have a strong opinion either way though.  If anything, I
might be inclined to argue that 750 (or 770) would be more appropriate.