[asterisk-users] sip proxy

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sat Mar 3 18:14:46 CST 2012

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012, K bharathan wrote:

> how can i put a sip proxy;

Depending on your OS and which proxy you want, it may be as simple as
'sudo yum -y install opensips'

> how it differs from asterisk pbx;

I think the major distinction is 'who handles the signaling and who
handles the media.' A SIP proxy usually only handles the signaling. A PBX
usually handles both. Note that you can combine a SIP proxy and a RTP
proxy. Then the distinction is based more on the feature set with a PBX
having more features relating to handsets.

> currently doing some test on asterisk; thru DSL connection the callers
> can hear only one way;asterisk pbx is behind NAT;

A common NAT problem. Using 'wireshark' to capture packets and analyze
them may yield some clues. Recent discussions on this list incriminate SIP
'helpers' in some routers.

> i am in search of a proper VOIP network ;appreciate some clues in this
> line

Every one of 'them' is different. How big of a system are you designing?
Astlinux on a Soekris is great for a couple of simultaneous calls.
Multiple OpenSIPS hosts fronting a farm of Asterisk hosts could probably
handle a small nation.

--
Thanks in advance,