[asterisk-users] Intro to DECT vs IP

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Fri Jun 29 15:58:45 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:

>  We've deoplyed a number of pure VoIP wireless (wifi & proprietary)
> phones,  but not dect.
>
> Is there a simple overview of integrating DECT phones with Asterisk
> somewhere?  I assume the DECT basestation has a multi-account SIP VoIP
> interface, and the handsets are just plain old dect?

The SIP side of every DECT phone I've worked with looks/works just like any
regular SIP phone.  Asterisk just sees a SIP endpoint.  If it's
multi-handset/multi-account it's much like configuring a multi-line SIP
phone.

> Can you push configuration info to individual phones?  (Are they
> individually addressible / configurable through SIP) etc?

This is all dependent on the phone/base, but every one I've used does.
 Again, it works just like any other SIP handset that supports a central
config server.

Honestly while there's a little bit of learning to do, deploying a SIP-DECT
solution isn't really different from other phones and you should just jump
into it.

We are very pleased with Spectralink for larger/industrial applications and
Panasonic for small office applications.

Devote four hours to learning and you'll be comfortable with the configs
for either.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve