[asterisk-users] Clipping issue with SIP over satellite

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Jun 18 15:45:55 CDT 2012

On 06/17/2012 06:43 AM, Richard Kenner wrote:

> Things work fine when he's talking to another Asterisk phone or to a SIP
> trunk provider, but when connecting to a T1, there's clipping where about
> 1/3 of his voice (in intervals of maybe 200ms) are removed.  This sounds
> like an echo canceller conflict, but I've set echocancel=no in
> chan_dahdi.conf (I have hardware echo cancelling) and it didn't do
> anything.  I'm forcing his codec to G729 for bandwidth reasons.  The
> phone is an Aastra 6757iCT.

You have hardware echo canceling *outside* of your T1 card? If it's an
echo canceler on the card, then setting 'echocancel=no' disables it. You
probably don't want to do that.

The DAHDI layer has some buffering that can help with jitter, but the
default buffers can only handle 80ms of jitter. You can increase this by
setting the 'buffers' option in chan_dahdi.conf; each buffer is 20ms by
default.

As long as what are dealing with is 'simple' jitter (just delayed
packets), as opposed to packet reordering, then this should help quite a
bit. If you have packet reordering occurring as well, then you'll need a
full-fledged adaptive jitter buffer on the channel to compensate for it.
In recent releases of Asterisk, this can be done by using the
JITTERBUFFER() dialplan function on the SIP channel in question, but
since you didn't mention your version of Asterisk, I can't speculate
whether that is available to you or not.

> Does anybody have any suggestions here?

It sounds like the lack of a proper jitter buffer (of adequate size) is
the issue here, since when the audio is directed at endpoints outside of
Asterisk that have them, the audio is as you'd expect it to be.

--
Kevin P. Fleming