[asterisk-users] Help choosing the right card

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Sun Jun 17 17:56:42 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 03:43:35PM -0500, Vladimir Mikhelson wrote:

> On 6/17/2012 12:06 PM, Shaun Ruffell wrote:
> >
> > I just updated the patch since the memory locks weren't carried
> > through after the fork call.  When I apply the patch on the current
> > head of the asterisk 1.8 branch and load all the asterisk modules by
> > default:
> >
> >   # asterisk -p
> >   # cat /proc/`pidof asterisk`/status | grep VmLck
> >   VmLck:    567268 kB
> >
> > You can see that just after load there is already 567MB locked.
> > The systems on DAHLIN-241 started with 384M and were updated to
> > 512M.
> >

> Shaun,  if I understand the numbers correctly i still cannot use the
> patch as 562,268KB > 512MB

You are correct. You will not be able to lock all the memory and one
of the allocations will fail if you're autoloading all modules. So
if you want to avoid delays incurred when the system needs to page
in code pages on events, you will either need to add more memory or
limit the modules that are loaded.

For example, when I disable autoloading, and only load a few modules needed
for a basic system only 153M is needed:

  # asterisk -rx 'module show'
  Module                         Description                              Use Count
  pbx_config.so                  Text Extension Configuration             0
  res_timing_dahdi.so            DAHDI Timing Interface                   0
  chan_dahdi.so                  DAHDI Telephony Driver w/PRI             0
  chan_sip.so                    Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)        0
  app_dial.so                    Dialing Application                      0
  app_voicemail.so               Comedian Mail (Voicemail System)         0
  app_originate.so               Originate call                           0
  app_meetme.so                  MeetMe conference bridge                 0
  codec_ulaw.so                  mu-Law Coder/Decoder                     0
  format_sln.so                  Raw Signed Linear Audio support (SLN)    0
  format_sln16.so                Raw Signed Linear 16KHz Audio support (S 0
  format_wav.so                  Microsoft WAV/WAV16 format (8kHz/16kHz S 0
  format_pcm.so                  Raw/Sun uLaw/ALaw 8KHz (PCM,PCMA,AU), G. 0
  codec_alaw.so                  A-law Coder/Decoder                      0
  func_callerid.so               Party ID related dialplan functions (Cal 0
  func_version.so                Get Asterisk Version/Build Info          0
  16 modules loaded
  # cat /proc/`pidof asterisk`/status | grep VmLck
  VmLck:    152972 kB

--
Shaun Ruffell
Digium, Inc. | Linux Kernel Developer