[asterisk-users] Get voicemail box password from dialplan?

Chet W. Stevens cwstevens at interact.ccsd.net
Tue Jun 12 12:44:45 CDT 2012

VMAuthenticate works but I didn't find it to have the type of control that I was looking for such as using custom prompts separate from the voice mail prompts, controling how many times the user is prompted, etc. I was able to come up with the exact
solution I was looking for combined with John Kiniston's suggestion for determining the dialing extension's mailbox:

exten => 1234,1,Answer()
same => n,Set(peer=${SIPCHANINFO(peername)})
same => n,Set(mailbox=${SIPPEER(${peer},mailbox)})
same => n,GotoIf(${MAILBOX_EXISTS(${mailbox})}?vmpass:hangup)
same => n(vmpass),Set(vmpass=${CUT(AST_CONFIG(voicemail.conf,default,${mailbox}),\,,1)})
same => n,NoOp(${vmpass})
same => n(hangup),Hangup()

Thank you everyone for your help!

Chet Stevens