[asterisk-users] Digium IP Phones D40

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Mon Jun 11 13:15:41 CDT 2012

On 12-06-11 12:58 PM, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> Any one used Digium IP Phones D40?
>
> I need to know if they are stable with good voice quality? Comparing to Polycom 330, which is better? Let us talk frankly although I know that we have to support Digium.

I don't think these topics about comparing A to B work very well. For
me, it comes down to what has worked well in the past.  With that in
mind, it will be hard for us to give up Polycom phones.

I had the ability to test the Digium phones while at Digium, and they
are rugged phones, they look professional too.  However, I only tested
with them for a month or so.

Now the Digium phones have a tighter integration out of the box with
Asterisk / Switchvox however that is not an added feature since we
already have provisioning modules for Polycom phones. If you have never
mass deployed Polycom phones, it does require some work.  You need to
get your hands dirty but Polycom has a lot of documentation about the
process.

With Digium, they take this point of pain away from you.  A ship the
phones with a tight integration with asterisk / Switchvox. There are
some other features about visual voicemail and JS applications, however
I don't require them so not a feature I am interested in.

So, to answer your questions, compare Polycom to Digium. For me, the
winner is Polycom because their phones have been around for years.
Digium's only months. And because we have Polycom phones at 95% of the
sites we manage, adding another vendor into the mix for use to support
does not make sense at this time.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)