[asterisk-users] Running Asterisk on VMware ESX

Hiers, Richard Richard.Hiers at covenantseminary.edu
Fri Jun 8 15:17:11 CDT 2012

A point of clarification.  The "get started video" on asterisk.org says that running asterisk on a virtual platform is a popular option.  "Go for it!" the presenter says.  However, the 2011 third edition of Asterisk, The Definitive Guide says they don't recommend it for production use, though many do so successfully.  I also don't find may recent discussions of this topic online.

I don't expect to need to use any special hardware, just a sip trunk over our broadband connection.  We have about 150 phones at present.  Is ESX a viable platform for us?  And second, what is the recommended virtual configuration (mem, cpu, etc.)?  Any other considerations?

Thanks,

Richard Hiers
Director of IT Services
Covenant Theological Seminary