[asterisk-users] VOIP & PBX replacement suggestions?

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at humancapitaldev.com
Thu Jun 7 08:18:08 CDT 2012

On Jun 6, 2012, at 4:40 PM, Cary Fitch wrote:

> Where do you get your IP connection?  The cable monopoly?

Not yet, but we will. We have a T1 that has our servers on it (we have our own ARIN-assigned netblock). I don't think that'll be fast enough for VOIP once the servers start taking more load, so plan to order a cable line from the monopoly to run VOIP over and share the office download bandwidth.

On Jun 6, 2012, at 10:47 PM, Lee Howard wrote:

> Unless you're going to move to an internet fax service provider you'll probably not want to attempt to switch your fax line to a VoIP line and still attempt to fax over it.  And even then, depending on how much fax traffic you have moving to an internet fax service provider may not save you any money.

I thought that was what iaxmodem was for? Part of the plan here was to dodge buying serial cards or modem banks when we started faxing more.

(I'm getting even more off topic here, but I just had to say something…)
On Jun 6, 2012, at 5:59 PM, John Novack wrote:

> One wonders how viable this business can even be, with one line, one fax, and no budget to replace an aged telephone system.

Not very, but we're doing a lot better than a lot of our former neighbors who closed up and never came back. The guy behind us manufactured camping stoves by hand until the day he died. There's towns around here that went from around 10% unemployment to over 50% unemployment in one week when the local major manufacturer announced plant closures. Times are tough for everyone. It's just now starting to get better. We're seeing increased revenue for the first time since we started. Our service had its first major project and it passed with flying colors, despite deliberate interference. It's now starting the second. Next week we are calling back some employees we laid off over a year ago. That's why I have no budget for this, we're using it to pay them. I'm a strong supporter of our service and I firmly believe (as does my boss) that it's going to improve a lot of peoples' lives if we can just stick it out long enough for it to happen. Both of us have invested nearly everything we have to try to keep us going. This is not just some random IT job. We're not going to manufacture some piece of consumer glitz that people will be happy with for a few months and then throw away, we're not blasting ads at people to try to convince them to spend money they don't have, and we're not grinding out crapware for some app store or social network; we aren't even really concerned with making loads of money. We're going to get results. We're going to make a real difference, or die trying. I would much rather try and fail than spend the rest of my life wondering if this could have gone somewhere.

> Just one old fart's opinion.

I'm sure there's more than a few that would agree with you. Most would have probably given up and gone away years ago, and I do not feel they are wrong. Everyone has their limits and priorities, but every once in awhile there's some crazies who care about more than just getting a paycheck. I guess I'm one of them.