[asterisk-users] HP DL360 G5 better than HP DL360 G7 ?

Tom Browning ttbrowning at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 23:35:38 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Steve Edwards
<asterisk.org at sedwards.com> wrote:
> This AGI (which should only take about 20 seconds) occasionally takes a
> minute or 3 to complete, but it does complete.

You should also be seeing the Autodestruct message?  I put a sleep 60
in my exit handler and can create that message on demand.

 What kinds of problems are
> you seeing when your AGI takes too long?

The Autodestruct message is obviously just the first sign that
problems are ahead.  Unabated, the calling rate is sufficient that in
one case I eventually ran out of RTP ports with presumably all the
calls trying to be torn down but still hanging around.

Initially I assumed it was my database transactions gumming up the
works.  I am using pgpool locally to cache connections to the actual
database.  The exit handler connects to localhost to communicate with
pgpool.

During the time when the Autodestruct messages are flowing, however, I
could not find any database connection problems (testing in real time
from the CLI on a troubled box).  The connection pool is not starved.
DNS lookups and new connections are subsecond.  So I don't think it is
actually my exit handler code but perhaps something else that is
causing contention.

> *) If I get a chance to re-code it, I'd just write a database record and
> then cobble up a daemon or cron job to do the heavy (and time consuming)
> lifting.

Totally agree.  Before the outbound leg begins, I write a database
record.  For scale, my ultimate exit handler might just write some
variables to a local unique file or reliable syslog or message queue
of some sort to minimize processing in the teardown of a call and NOT
anger the Asterisk gods :-)

The problem I'm having is that for some reason, running tcpdump
simultaneously and logging all SIP UDP to files is making the
supposedly more powerful G7 box have fits that start with Autodestruct
... method BYE messages.

The lesser G5 model DL 360 seems to handle the identical load and
tcpdump with no problem.

I have a total of 20 servers, 10 model G5 and 10 model G7 and the
pattern is clear.  The load is distributed by a simple A record
shuffle from a SER instance.  Really basic stuff.

I'm going to find a copy of that hardware enumeration utility
mentioned in this thread and post some info.