[asterisk-users] Multi-Tenant PBX with Asterisk

Leandro Dardini ldardini at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 00:24:55 CDT 2012

ARA is an acronym for Asterisk Realtime Architecture and is a different way
to keep configuration files in asterisk. Instead of reading configuration
from plain files at startup, asterisk read them from database, in realtime.
This mean, if you need to add a peer, you drop a new line in the sippeers
table and you are fine. You start defining an ODBC source in res_odbc.conf
and then configure the ARA source for each plain configuration files in
extconfig.conf

About the config reload, reloading only the module changed is a good idea,
but the commercial GUI I have meet so far doesn't support it. I have
clients with very simple dialplan, able to reload it even if more than
130.000 rows long, others, with more complicated dialplan cannot reload it
during work hours even if only 30.000 rows long.

You are right about freeware PBX for hosted services. Independent from the
fact a GUI is free or needs a payment, I think it is important to have the
source for it to be able to customize it and also it is important to have a
clean dialplan, so you can debug and customize it as well. I am a developer
selling software. I never protect my code obfuscating or compiling it and
my clients enjoy it and never steal my work (so far).

Leandro