[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Dynamic IP to a SIP extension

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sat Jul 28 09:08:31 CDT 2012

Doug wrote:
> Verizon has put another good third party DSL supplier out of the DSL business. Their mindset is to kill the competition and then kill DSL and copper althogether in FIOS areas.
>
> So am soon losing my static IP and I need to prepare for the change. I currently have Asterisk running using, besides local extensions, a remote SIP extension in another state. In the new configuration both Asterisk and the remote extension will be behind dynamic IP.
>
> I will be running dyndns or equivalent and likely ddclient to update IP's.  Will there be any issues running in this way? Will Asterisk ride through an IP change without a restart? If there is a definitive wiki topic on this please pass me the link.

I have used Asterisk and dyndns with ddclient for years, with no issues. I can't speak to off premiss SIP phones, but if it will work with a URL rather than just an IP address, all should go well.

You could always provision an embedded Asterisk thin client at the remote location, using IAX, and avoid any issues with SIP if there are any concerns with security.
> ddclient is configurable to do any restarts or changes that might be necessary should an IP address change.
>
> I am told that Comcast, which I am hoping to get, has "sticky" dynamic IP meaning the IP addresses rarely if ever change. If that is the case then this is pretty much a non issue. I think they use the router mac address to assign an IP address.

True enough. Comcast will change your IP if the mac address of the router changes, but since most routers allow Mac address cloning, even this is a minimal issue. As Comcast in many areas is growing, sometimes the IP address changes as they reconfigure their network. Mine hasn't changed now for about 18 months though. Plus their service is reliable. Not quite as robust as a telephone company in the 1980's, but pretty good.
> Also the version of Asterisk I am running is old - 1.2.35 - yes I know it's old but it works and does what I need. Are there differences in versions on how the above would work?

I would suggest you move at least to the last 1.4 version . though 1.4 is also EOL, the last version is fairly robust, and obviously you don't need any of the newer features added later on. Some changes will be needed in your dialplan, but not nearly as many as if you were to become current.

I use my Asterisk in a worldwide private network, as well as an interface to voip.ms, and it just works.
I also use IAX for all external connections with good results.

Best of luck

John Novack

> Thanks, Doug
>

> --