[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Dynamic IP to a SIP extension

Doug dsc3507 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 23:58:09 CDT 2012

Verizon has put another good third party DSL supplier out of the DSL business. Their mindset is to kill the competition and then kill DSL and copper althogether in FIOS areas.

So am soon losing my static IP and I need to prepare for the change. I currently have Asterisk running using, besides local extensions, a remote SIP extension in another state. In the new configuration both Asterisk and the remote extension will be behind dynamic IP.

I will be running dyndns or equivalent and likely ddclient to update IP's.  Will there be any issues running in this way? Will Asterisk ride through an IP change without a restart? If there is a definitive wiki topic on this please pass me the link.

ddclient is configurable to do any restarts or changes that might be necessary should an IP address change.

I am told that Comcast, which I am hoping to get, has "sticky" dynamic IP meaning the IP addresses rarely if ever change. If that is the case then this is pretty much a non issue. I think they use the router mac address to assign an IP address.

Also the version of Asterisk I am running is old - 1.2.35 - yes I know it's old but it works and does what I need. Are there differences in versions on how the above would work?

Thanks, Doug