[asterisk-users] still got ReceiveFax() problem, how to properly setup asterisk fax?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Jul 27 10:03:25 CDT 2012

On 07/27/2012 09:53 AM, Eric Wieling wrote:

> People seem to think that Asterisk won't disable the Echo Canceler when a fax tone is detected.  Why they think that is a total mystery to me,.

Asterisk doesn't do this, the echo canceller itself does (or DAHDI does,
in some cases). With modern ECs, as well, they don't even get disabled
when a CED tone (from the answering FAX endpoint) is heard, they instead
just turn off their non-linear processors, because it's been found
through years of experience that leaving 'most' of the EC still in place
makes FAX calls more reliable than if it was completely disabled.

Since the OP has a Sangoma card with an Octasic hardware echo canceller
on it, he should just leave it alone and let it do its job :-) Turning
it off is probably making things worse.

Sometimes I wish it was possible to selectively eradicate 'conventional
wisdom' from the world!

--
Kevin P. Fleming