[asterisk-users] HP DL360 G5 better than HP DL360 G7 ?

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Tue Jul 24 02:18:11 CDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 23:23 -0400, Tom Browning wrote:
> Any tips on solving the following performance conundrum:
>
> Asterisk 1.8.12.2 running on HP DL360 G5 and G7s
>
> tcpdump running to capture UDP 5060/SIP signaling to .pcap files
>
> All calls are ultimately B2BUA client -> asterisk -> PSTN
>
> Media stays on Asterisk at all times
>
> AGI script has exit handler that connects and updates an external
> database upon BYE from either side.
>
> I know that if exit handler hangs around too long, Bad Things (tm) will happen.
>
> Oddly, under load (60-100 B2BUA calls), the G7s start complaining:
>
> Autodestruct on dialog '<CALLID>' with owner in place (Method: BYE)
>
> I/O wait is actually higher on the G5s, the G7s have fancy disk cache
> cards and never get above 1% i/o wait
>
> turn off the tcpdump process on the G7s and Autodestruct warnings go
> away.  The G7s should have
> much more capacity than the G5s but we never, ever get Autodestruct
> ... Method: BYE on the G5s.
>
> OS is identical CentOS in both cases.   Every other environmental
> config is the same (network, subnet, DNS etc).
>
> Architecture/bus/network card difference?  tcpdump starving some other
> resource to cause stuff to slow down?

Hi Tom,

Regarding G5's and G7's....
We have them both (all though not for asterisk) at work. and found a
little snag.
The purchase department interferred with our initial ordering of the
hardware. As a concequence, they did not order the battery for the raid
controller. (seems you have to order that explicitly)
After it arrived, we were able to install linux on it and use it, but
disk-io was way slower that the original G5.

You might want to check/compare disk-io & throughput on your G5 vs G7.
Just a thought....

Hans