[asterisk-users] Less good call quality using Asterisk

Stefan at WPF stefan.at.wpf at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 21 12:46:58 CDT 2012

Hello,

I am currently using the following setup:
Snom 300 - Asterisk 1.8.13.0 running on Raspberry Pi - Sipgate SIP Provider
When I am using this setup, the call quality isn't as good as when using a
direct connection like
Snom 300 - Sipgate SIP Provider
to my SIP Provider (Sipgate).

Sipgate supports

>    - G.729 - ~ 12 kbit/s
>    - G.711 - ~ 100 kbit/s
>    - iLBC - ~ 15 kbit/s
>    - GSM - 13 - 20 kbit/s
>    - G.726 - 16 - 40 kbit/s
>
> According to my Asterisk server and sip show channels the used codec is
0x08 (G.711), so the best one possible. Still the quality isn't as good as
on a direct connection between my Snom phone and Asterisk. Using Asterisk
it feels a little bit like there is some more background noise or so. Any
hints why the quality using Asterisk is less good than on a direct
connection? Does Asterisk by default change anything on the signal or is it
just passed through? Thanks :-)

Best regards
Stefan