[asterisk-users] asterisk 1.8 on Solaris/sparc

Jeremy Kister asterisk-02 at jeremykister.com
Thu Jul 19 09:43:55 CDT 2012

On 7/19/2012 3:50 AM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
> Perhaps system too busy, disk not fast enough?
> before doing a play-back, run "iostat 1" in another window

interesting.  the stutter certainly correlates to minor amounts of disk
i/o.  when there is no stutter, there is nothing to report.  but a minor
amount of wait/busy lines up with the stutter.

# iostat -znx 1
                     extended device statistics
     r/s    w/s   kr/s   kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t  %w  %b device
     0.0   72.0    0.0  456.0  0.1  0.1    1.0    0.9   2   4 c0t0d0
     0.0   72.0    0.0  456.0  0.1  0.1    1.2    0.9   2   4 c0t2d0
                     extended device statistics
     r/s    w/s   kr/s   kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t  %w  %b device
                     extended device statistics
     r/s    w/s   kr/s   kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t  %w  %b device

> Incase iowait is too high, try moving the files with the playback
> sound/speech upon tmpfs (thus eliminating the hard disk)

That's worth a shot.  I dont have big enough tmpfs to copy the whole
sounds spool, so i:

# cd /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en/
# mkdir /tmp/sounds
# ln -s /tmp/sounds tmpfs
# cp mysound.ulaw tmpfs
Playback(tmpfs/mysound)

But it didnt help, still randomish stutter lining up with the disk.

this is a great help, at least i can start hacking at things now.

Thanks,

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./