[asterisk-users] Using Asterisk 10.6 as a T38 Fax gateway

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Wed Jul 18 08:43:54 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

The correct setting is not FAXOPT(t38gateway) - that is not a valid parameter
to pass to the FAXOPT function.  As you mention below, the correct setting
is Set(FAXOPT(gateway)=yes).  The optional timeout is fine.

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+10+Function_FAXOPT

> I have tried with both FAXOPT(t38gateway) and FAXOPT(gateway). I have
> also tried setting t38pt_udptl = yes,redundancy in sip.conf. None of
> these things work. When we send a fax:
>
> 1. Asterisk does NOT send a REINVITE with the t38 offered. Reading
> the
> documentation, it should detect the fax tone with the audiohook and
> then send a REINVITE with t38 capability.

Have you confirmed that Asterisk does not send the re-INVITE using either
a packet sniffer or by monitoring the log with 'sip set debug on'?  Without
seeing the SIP message traffic and a DEBUG log, its hard to say what
might be the cause of your issues.

Typically, I would expect to see something like the following in a DEBUG log:

[Jul 18 08:29:18] DEBUG[20234] res_fax.c: detected v21 preamble from SIP/ast1-g711-00000001
[Jul 18 08:29:18] DEBUG[20234] res_fax.c: requesting T.38 for gateway session for SIP/ast1-t38-00000000

Note that this also answers your question in a subsequent e-mail: you
should be using res_fax, with either res_fax_spandsp or Fax for Asterisk.

> 2. Asterisk does not offer t38 in the SDP of the initial INVITE. This
> is not a problem if it correctly detects and REINVITES for faxes, but
> our destination carriers tell us that they cannot do the REINVITE
> themselves because we do not offer t38 in our SDP, so they believe we
> do not have that capability.
>
> Obviously I would prefer to just detect the fax myself and have
> asterisk do the REINVITE.
>
> I have read all of the documentation on the asterisk wiki (which is
> rather short) and anything else I could find online. Unfortunately
> most of it is out of date and refers to asterisk versions 1.4 to 1.8,
> which do not have T38 Gateway capability.

There typically isn't a lot of configuration that is needed for T.38
gateway support.  The necessary dialplan configuration is documented
here:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/T.38+Fax+Gateway

--
Matthew Jordan