[asterisk-users] Using Asterisk 10.6 as a T38 Fax gateway

Alejandro Recarey alex at recarey.org
Wed Jul 18 06:30:26 CDT 2012

Hi all, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am trying to configure Asterisk 10.6 as a T38 Fax gateway. I am
receiving calls through the PSTN and want to send them to my VoIP
carriers as T38. This is my dialplan:

[fax]
exten => _X.,1,Set(FAXOPT(t38gateway)=yes,20)
exten => _X.,n,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@x.x.x.x)

I have tried with both FAXOPT(t38gateway) and FAXOPT(gateway). I have
also tried setting t38pt_udptl = yes,redundancy in sip.conf. None of
these things work. When we send a fax:

1. Asterisk does NOT send a REINVITE with the t38 offered. Reading the
documentation, it should detect the fax tone with the audiohook and
then send a REINVITE with t38 capability.

2. Asterisk does not offer t38 in the SDP of the initial INVITE. This
is not a problem if it correctly detects and REINVITES for faxes, but
our destination carriers tell us that they cannot do the REINVITE
themselves because we do not offer t38 in our SDP, so they believe we
do not have that capability.

Obviously I would prefer to just detect the fax myself and have
asterisk do the REINVITE.

I have read all of the documentation on the asterisk wiki (which is
rather short) and anything else I could find online. Unfortunately
most of it is out of date and refers to asterisk versions 1.4 to 1.8,
which do not have T38 Gateway capability.

Does anybody have any experience in making this work?

Thank you!

Alex