[asterisk-users] Trixbox or FreePBX or Elastix or PBX In a Flash

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Tue Jul 10 15:26:48 CDT 2012

On 10/7/12 7:46 pm, Tim Nelson wrote:
> Not to sound like a broken record or anything... but I'd say give Elastix a go. It is top notch in terms of release quality and features. And, being based on FreePBX, you can set it to 'Device and User' mode instead of the default extensions mode so users can 'hotdesk' between phones.

We have a number of deployments using the FPBX 'Device and User' mode in
a similar manner to that the OP requested, and they seem to work fairly
well.

On 10/7/12 7:58 pm, Patrick Lists wrote:
> Or you could just install a bare Asterisk and slap FreePBX on
> top of it

Personally, I'd go down this route, especially if you're already
familiar with Linux (which I'm guessing you are if you're used to
working with bare Asterisk). This way you can choose the distro you like
best rather than having to adapt to whatever the all-in-one maintainer
has chosen to use.

It also opens up options if you find you need to run other packages on
the same server at any point.

Kind regards,

Chris