[asterisk-users] Trixbox or FreePBX or Elastix or PBX In a Flash

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Tue Jul 10 12:39:17 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Thanks Tim.
>
> One of the problem that I am facing is the complicated generated
> configuration for the FreePBX, is it the same thing in the Elastix?
>
> To understand this complicated generated commands, is there a
> documentation to explain this for FreePBX or Elastix?
>

> One of my friend told me that he installed (as I remember) FreePBX
> and there were already existed the TFTP files that the Cisco IP
> Phones is requesting (for sip or skiny) and already there were a
> TFTP server. Which module to do this?

FreePBX (and any other project based on it, including Trixbox, Elastix, PIAF, AsteriskNow, etc) stores all information in a MySQL database, then when you click 'apply changes' it takes all of the system config info from the database, and generates the Asterisk dialplan code in /etc/asterisk . This is the tradeoff for having a magical GUI do most of the work, and doing everything by hand.

You can of course make your own changes that will not be overwritten by editing the appropriate *_custom.conf files. For example, to add contexts and/or dialplan stuff, put it in extensions_custom.conf. The same applies for sip_custom.conf, etc...

Most of the predone projects (Elastix is my favorite at the moment) include some sort of endpoint manager that will generate configs for your phones. I'm not sure specifically on Cisco phones, other than they are a huge PITA in general. The system just needs a TFTP server installed, and the phones pointed to it (manually, or by using DHCP option 66).

--Tim