[asterisk-users] Proposed changes to Asterisk release and support cycles

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jan 31 17:35:33 CST 2012

On 01/31/2012 05:20 PM, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> To properly phrase the question, "why is 10.X not an LTS release"?

Umm... because it wasn't planned to be, and the decision was made nearly
two years ago? Asterisk 1.8 is an LTS release, and now (with this
proposal) Asterisk 11 would also be an LTS release. There's really no
need for another LTS release sandwiched between them, and we can't
commit Digium's development resources to extending the lifetime of that
branch by three years. In addition, Asterisk 10 contains some
significantly redesigned code that would not have been considered
LTS-ready when Asterisk 10 was released.

As we've said many times before, if a group of interested and committed
community developers want to continue provide support for Asterisk 10
beyond its stated lifetime, we'll happily provide them the resources to
be able to produce releases and make them available to the user community.

--
Kevin P. Fleming