[asterisk-users] Proposed changes to Asterisk release and support cycles

John Knight john at classiccitytelco.com
Tue Jan 31 14:52:52 CST 2012

> I like the idea of LTR release more often that would have the feature
> patches baked in.  Case in point the new conference app requires a
> jump to version 10 while the 1.8 conference app is quite useless but
> 1.8 is my LTR version so I am stuck without the conference app in my
> mainline systems for two years.

Well said!  This is also true of any type of long term supported release
whether if it's an operating system, application, etc.  In the "LTS"
name, it conjurs up thoughts of Ubuntu, but comparisons to RHEL/Fedora
are far more appropriate I would think as Ubuntu focuses nearly
exclusively on new point releases while backporting new features is what
a company like Red Hat excels at and should be the prime example of how
to run dual software channels (enterprise release in RHEL vs. hobby
release in Fedora).

Red Hat works so well for server systems because features are regularly
backported with a *huge* emphasis on never breaking abi or build
environments.  So far there really hasn't been a lot of noticeable
features backported to 1.8.x that I'm aware of, but then again 10 is the
first release after 1.8.

Generally, if there isn't a lot of support in maintaining a long term
release, then it turns into merely a "old release that occasionally has
quality security updates".   This is a perfectly valid approach too, but
so far Digium's use of "LTS" doesn't really clarify clearly to me which
type they are meaning to confer: 1) release that will stay static for
its entire release sans security updates or 2) release that will stay
compatible throughout the software's life time while occasionally having
features backported with development funded from paying clients with
support contracts.

It should also be said that the long term release really isn't the
appropriate place to debut new technology.  If you absolutely require
the newest stuff that Digium produces, regardless of their LTS paradigm,
the LTS release probably isn't meant for you.  Using the RHEL/Fedora
example of earlier, RHEL's backports only come through around once a
year during the point releases.  Anything more would be chaotic and
against the notions of a long term supported release.  Fedora gets new
stuff every 6 months, freshly baked with some stuff just not working all
that well.

I know distros and applications are two fundamentally different things,
with entirely different goals and requirements, but I still think Red
Hat provides the best example because 1) they have turned it into a
science how smooth their development process goes in ratio to satisfied
customers and 2) it's the only other open source software project I can
think of that can accurately compare.  In a past meeting I had with
Digium while working for another company, they too directly drew a
correlation between the new LTS idea and ubuntu lts/non-lts and rhel/fedora.

The conference app changes since 1.4 I haven't been thrilled with, but
in the whole time I've been supporting 1.8.x for my customers, I've come
up with a very stable solution building on it and I haven't had any
surprises come my way.

But think back before 1.8.x and Digium's plan for LTS:  We lived in a
world where 1.4 bounced back and forth between "ultra-stable" and
"whoops, dtmf is completely borked again" largely due to the fact that a
complete rewrite of various parts of Asterisk would greatly undermine
projects written specifically for that branch so small fixes netted
breakage in other parts of the software.  And we also had 1.6.x which
for 95% of stuff was brilliant, but that other 5% was so crucial that it
delayed adoption.

Personally, I don't think what Digium is doing is necessarily a perfect
approach (hey, what is?  we're all human), but they've vastly improved
the quality of Asterisk from a support perspective.

*John Knight*
Classic City Telco LLC
*Email:* john at classiccitytelco.com *|* *Main:* (706) 995-0200
*Direct:* (706) 995-0201 *|* *Mobile:* (706) 255-9203