[asterisk-users] Too many open files

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Thu Jan 26 16:53:42 CST 2012

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:35:14 -0700
Mike Diehl <mdiehl at diehlnet.com> wrote:

> While trying to track down a T.38 issue, I came across a series of log
> entries like this:
> [Jan 26 10:23:31] WARNING[32508]: udptl.c:948
> ast_udptl_new_with_bindaddr: Unable to allocate socket: Too many open
> files [Jan 26 10:23:31] ERROR[32508]: acl.c:488 ast_ouraddrfor:
> Cannot create socket
>
> What causes it and how do I fix/mitigate it?

In the script that runs asterisk, execute this command before running
asterisk:

ulimit -n 8192

Then restart asterisk.

Or, if you have the /etc/default/asterisk file on your system (like I
do), uncomment the MAX_FILES line (or increase it), and the default init
script should take care of it when you next restart asterisk.

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company