[asterisk-users] ChanSpy : how to know channel name ?

Ishfaq Malik ish at pack-net.co.uk
Wed Jan 25 04:10:47 CST 2012

I use ChanSpy successfully all the time. You do not have to specify the
full channel, just the prefix which is the peer name. As you can see it
also states 'This includes the audio  coming in and out of the channel
being spied on.'

Have you tried giving it a go?

  -= Info about application 'ChanSpy' =-

[Synopsis]
Listen to a channel, and optionally whisper into it.

[Description]
This application is used to listen to the audio from an Asterisk
channel.
This includes the audio  coming in and out of the channel being spied
on.
If the 'chanprefix' parameter is specified, only channels beginning with
this
string will be spied upon.
While spying, the following actions may be performed:
 - Dialing '#' cycles the volume level.
 - Dialing '*' will stop spying and look for another channel to spy on.
 - Dialing a series of digits followed by '#' builds a channel name to
append
 to 'chanprefix'. For example, executing ChanSpy(Agent) and then dialing
the
 digits '1234#'  while spying will begin spying on the channel
'Agent/1234'.
 Note that this feature will be overridden if the 'd' option is used
NOTE: The <X> option supersedes the three features above in that if a
valid
single digit extension exists in the correct context ChanSpy will exit
it. This also disables choosing a channel based on 'chanprefix' and a
digit
sequence.

[Syntax]
ChanSpy([chanprefix][,options])

[Arguments]
options
    b: Only spy on channels involved in a bridged call.

    B: Instead of whispering on a single channel barge in on both
channels
    involved in the call.

    c(digit):
        digit - Specify a DTMF digit that can be used to spy on the
        next available channel.

    d: Override the typical numeric DTMF functionality and instead use
    DTMF to switch between spy modes.
        4 - spy mode
        5 - whisper mode
        6 - barge mode

    e(ext): Enable *enforced* mode, so the spying channel can only
monitor
    extensions whose name is in the <ext> : delimited  list.

    E: Exit when the spied-on channel hangs up.

    g(grp):
        grp - Only spy on channels in which one or more of the groups
        listed in <grp> matches one or more groups from the ${SPYGROUP}
        variable set on the channel to be spied upon.
    NOTE: both <grp> and ${SPYGROUP} can contain  either a single group
    or a colon-delimited list of groups, such as
'sales:support:accountin
    g'.

    n([mailbox][@context]): Say the name of the person being spied on
    if that person has recorded his/her name. If a context is specified,
then
    that voicemail context will be searched when retrieving the name,
otherwise
    the 'default' context be used when searching for the name (i.e. if
SIP/1000
    is the channel being spied on and no mailbox is specified, then
'1000'
    will be used when searching for the name).

    o: Only listen to audio coming from this channel.

    q: Don't play a beep when beginning to spy on a channel, or speak
    the selected channel name.

    r([basename]): Record the session to the monitor spool directory.
    An optional base for the filename  may be specified. The default is
'
    chanspy'.

    s: Skip the playback of the channel type (i.e. SIP, IAX, etc) when
    speaking the selected channel name.

    S: Stop when no more channels are left to spy on.

    v([value]): Adjust the initial volume in the range from '-4'  to
    '4'. A negative value refers to a quieter setting.

    w: Enable 'whisper' mode, so the spying channel can talk to the
    spied-on channel.

    W: Enable 'private whisper' mode, so the spying channel can talk
    to the spied-on channel but cannot listen to that channel.

    x(digit):
        digit - Specify a DTMF digit that can be used to exit the
        application.

    X: Allow the user to exit ChanSpy to a valid single digit numeric
    extension in the current context or the context specified by the
${SP
    Y_EXIT_CONTEXT} channel variable. The name of the last channel that
was
    spied on will be stored in the ${SPY_CHANNEL} variable.