[asterisk-users] Dahdi for meetme on AMD64 arch?

John Knight john at classiccitytelco.com
Thu Jan 19 17:38:00 CST 2012

> I've been quite happy with Debian. Previously I was using BSD, and it
> was almost impossible to upgrade the system. And apt / dpkg have never
> failed me, very impressive. I guess rhel works well also, but I've
> little experience with it.

Debian is a great distribution as well.  I still use it as the container
os to host web vps.  I think for OpenVZ usage though, it would be best
to at least run your node software on the same distribution that is
targeted via OpenVZ dev staff.  You shouldn't really be doing anything
else on your node anyway, so the os type shouldn't really interfere I
would think.  Though this argument breaks down when I suggest it to my
Debian-using friends who seem to have a knee-jerk right hook coming my
way when I mention rhel/centos.  :D

> Why doesn't Debian use the rhel6-openvz-kernel if that is the one that
> is maintained?
> Are you sure they use an outdated kernel?

I didn't see an "el6" tag on your kernel version that you first posted
which means it's probably based on the 2.6.32 vanilla branch
(http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/kernel/2.6.32).  The el6 version
(http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/kernel/rhel6) is the only known
actively developed branch of 2.6.32 that I know of.  I can't imagine
Debian not packaging it up correctly by not reflecting the correct
branch information.  Though it's only been a year and half since
2.6.32-el6 has been around, I've already seen quite a bit of bug fixes,
security fixes and backports added to it so it's already diverging quite
heavily from the vanilla branch.  Something that works flawlessly on
2.6.32-el6 might not work the same way on 2.6.32, and I'm wondering if
this might be a cause of issues.

To Digium: Does Digium test dahdi against a specific set of kernels such
as 2.6.18-el5 and 2.6.32-el6 or do they only test against the vanilla
upstream branches or a mixture?  Dahdi target platforms would be
interesting to know in relation to the context of Johan's dahdi problem.

> Maybe I will try switch to lxc instead of openvz as it is in the
> mainline kernel now. After all I need two things: Isolation, and the
> possibility to run multiple asterisk VEs on the same physical machine.

Hmm, I've never used lxc.  It definitely sounds interesting.  If you're
going to implement it running Asterisk, I'd love to know if there are
any issues or special methods required to get dahdi running (such as the
DEVNODES feature in vz).

Also, sorry to anyone if I've veered too far offtopic, I'm quite
interested and invested in openvz/asterisk/dahdi interoperability.

--
<http://www.classiccitytelco.com>

*John Knight*
Classic City Telco LLC
*Email:* john at classiccitytelco.com | *Main:* (706) 995-0200
*Direct:* (706) 995-0201 | *Mobile:* (706) 255-9203