[asterisk-users] Attempt to Originate between IAX2/xxxx and an application hangs until timeout in 1.8.8.1

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Jan 12 17:03:52 CST 2012

On 01/12/2012 11:58 AM, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:

> I have discovered the root cause of the issue. Due to a peculiarity of
> Zoiper 2.18, this program will *not* send a ACCEPT or RINGING packet
> back to Asterisk unless the NEW packet that announces the incoming call
> contains an IAX_IE_CALLING_NUMBER information element. It does not
> matter if the calling number is empty, but the corresponding IE must
> exist. This behavior is a change between Asterisk 1.6 and Asterisk 1.8.

Well, I applaud your troubleshooting skills and analysis... well done!

Unfortunately, that IE is *not* mandatory in an IAX2 NEW packet, and
thus Zoiper failing to properly process such NEW packets is a bug in
Zoiper. Yes, Asterisk's behavior has changed (since Caller ID handling
was overhauled in Asterisk 1.8, while adding Connected ID support), but
both the old and new behavior are compliant with the IAX2 protocol.

--
Kevin P. Fleming